Friday, July 6, 2012

Tiny dancer

   Thar she blooms!

My new rose called 'Ballerina' is beginning to bloom, which is very exciting because I just planted this delicate beauty three weeks ago! This first cluster is lightly fragrant and holding up well in high heat and humidity.    

I purchased this Hybrid Musk Shrub heirloom rose (1937) from the Antique Rose Emporium and their catalog description is almost as enchanting as the rose itself:

"It produces clouds of small, single, pink roses with white eyes on a compact arching bush with thick foliage. It can be pruned to shape or allowed to spill over naturally. When the leaves begin to thin in the late fall, the entire bush is lit up with tiny orange-red hips like bright Christmas lights."

I'm inclined to let 'Ballerina' spill over naturally, but the experts at the Antique Rose Emporium said I should definitely provide a support for it. Since I don't have a fence or a pillar handy, I provided a wooden trellis and 'Ballerina' is already happily climbing it. 

I have an arbor waiting in the wings for this fast growing climber; I just need to assemble it. I'm looking forward to watching this busy little lady grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment