Thursday, December 4, 2008

Standing in the Shadows

My Rachmaninoff, the Man of the Forest, is ailing. His kidneys are failing fast. He had been doing better, especially this past week, perhaps as a birthday gift to me, but new tests reveal the worst, and the vet guesses that he may only have two weeks left, maybe six, if we're lucky. I am consoled by the fact that Rock has never lived by the numbers and at nearly 18, still retains his youthful good looks. Bad test results be damned.

Still, I recognized a foreshadowing of what would be when I took this photograph a few weeks ago. In the face of "the strange unknown," represented here by lengthening shadows, he remains calm and courageous. He remains himself.

Now, for his sake, I strive to do the same.


Standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartache to come...

~ Holland-Dozier-Holland
and The Four Tops



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. What a regal cat. Make every moment count. We lost our 18 year old cat last spring and it was so hard...but it was as though he was ready to go when the time came. And he is still with us in so many ways.

    I love your blog. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete