Monday, December 8, 2008

Remembering Kia

Kia was an exquisitely marked Tortoiseshell, an exotic beauty even at eight-weeks. She died on December 9, 2003 from lung cancer at 15. I still miss her very much, especially this time of year. She came into my life after I had returned from a tour of the South Pacific, and her name is a Polynesian word with many meanings: let there be good fortune; good health; and welcome after long journeys. She brought all of that into my life and more.

I miss so many things about Kia: her churls and chortles; her ballerina’s grace; and the musical sound my voice made whenever I called her name.

May she rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful Kitty. I think we never stop missing the animals who shared our lives. I had never thought of missing the sound of my voice calling a pet in ...but that is so true. Each pet brings out its own special sound from us :)
    Thank so much for the nice comment on my blog. My email address is luvmywhitedawgs@gmail.com if you want it. Do you mind if I follow your blog? I am also quite new at this blogging world:)

    ReplyDelete