Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Love Lilacs

Lilacs belong to the genus Syringa

The lilac collection at the Arnold Arboretum (of Harvard University) has been going strong for over 135 years. Founded in 1872, the Arnold is the oldest public arboretum in North America and is recognized as one of the world's leading centers for the study of plants.

Today, Mother's Day, is Lilac Sunday at the Arboretum and visitors swarm the grounds to admire the color and fragrance of hundreds of lilacs in bloom. One tends to see more people than lilacs at this event, which is why I plan my visit days beforehand.

I had the good fortune to view the lilacs just as they were coming into peak bloom this spring. The weather was dismal ─ overcast and rainy ─ conditions that I consider to be absolutely perfect for viewing lilacs. Because they came into bloom early this year, those visiting them today are seeing them on the wane. And, unfortunately, today's very high winds have probably left most of them in tatters.

I was able to capture this year's blooms at their very best on , and I'll be sharing them in the next few posts.

To view details click on the photo above.

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment