Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red foxes are omnivores and will eat seeds and corn.


I am privileged to share my land with wildlife, including red foxes. I've had glimpses of a pair on several occasions. The first sighting was in February, about the time foxes mate. Late yesterday, as dusk fell, I saw what appeared to be a vixen. She was extremely wary even though I was in the house and well hidden from view. I watched her make her way into the woods, and likely returning to her den. Foxes are such resourceful, adaptable and highly intelligent creatures. Because I live on woodland in a suburb where open land is no longer prized nor preserved, foxes find their way here through a corridor to the Charles River. With mice, short-tailed shrews, groundhogs, raccoons, wild turkeys, beetles, garter snakes, toads and more in abundant supply, this is good habitat for a fox family.

If you would like to learn more about foxes and other wildlife, I highly recommend Marc Baldwin's website. Marc writes from the UK and I find his knowledge of foxes and other wildlife brilliant and endlessly fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment