Friday, April 24, 2009

Stoned

This post begins a brief series I am calling Stoned, dedicated to my love of stone and stone work. I begin with this beautiful stone wall and little fountain pool in a garden I visited last summer. I have been drawn to and fascinated by stone for as long as I can remember. Bluestone, flagstone, fieldstone, granite, marble, slate ― the list is endless. I am particularly fond of smooth river stones that have been polished by swiftly flowing rivers and streams.

River stones also remind me of a friend from college who would return from break complaining about being relegated to the "Brook House," a small cottage made entirely of stone and set above a brook on the family horse farm. "The bedsheets were usually damp," she said, "but the sound of the brook always lulled me to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment